Sunday, February 21, 2010

Grilled Salmon with Herb Crust

My husband has high cholesterol and I may too...plan to get checked soon. Either way, I am starting a weekly fish meal so we can increase our Omega-3 intake. Here is the first of many, hopefully.

Adapted from The Sonoma Diet Cookbook

Ingredients:
12 Ounces of Fresh or Frozen Skinless Salmon Fillets
1 T Chopped Dried Cilantro
1 T Chopped Dried Italian Seasoning
1 Green Onion, finely chopped
1 t Chopped Garlic
1 T Lemon Juice
2 T Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1/4 t Kosher Salt
1/8 t Ground Black Pepper

Instructions:
Thaw salmon, if frozen. Rinse fish; pat dry. Portion fish into 6 ounce pieces. The ones I bought were oddly shaped but it was okay because I gave the boys small portions from one of the fillets. Set the fish aside while you prepare the herb coating.

Combine all of the remaining ingredients in a small bowl and let sit for a few minutes while the herbs rehydrate (I took this time to make couscous and ready my steamed veggies - edamame and brussel's sprouts). I used a grill pan on my stove top but you can use a charcoal or gas grill. Either way, now is also the time to preheat to medium heat.

Generously coat both sides of the salmon with the herb coating and place on the preheated grill. I also spray my grill pan with some olive oil spray to prevent sticking. Unfortunately, that didn't do much to help prevent my herb crust from being left behind on the grill. Sadly, my salmon had no herb "crust" rather the flavor of the herbs and garlic but only bits of actual herbs on the fish itself when it made it onto the dinner plate. At any rate, grill the fish for 6 to 8 minutes or until the salmon flakes easily when tested with a fork.

I served it with couscous brussel's sprouts and edamame. My almost-two-year-old gobbled it all up and my four-year-old ate it all after much coaxing. Either way, the bellies are full of good stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment